Create memories that last a lifetime with your grandchildren by setting them up with skills they can use for the rest of their lives! Whether it’s having fun in the kitchen learning to cook or bake, digging in the garden and planting flowers, or playing card games around the table, get engaged and build a foundation of practical knowledge your grandkids can use to grow and thrive. So what if it makes a bit of a mess in the process? That’s part of the fun!
If you live in a senior living or assisted living community, that doesn’t mean you’re limited on the fun activities you can participate in with your grandchildren. Pick out a few fun activities prior to your visit and organize everything you’ll need in advance; this way, you’re never short on fun stuff to do
- Practice cooking skills – (teach them how to make your signature dish; they can practice skills like measuring, cutting, and cleaning)
- Have a tea party
- Play cards (old maid, solitaire, go fish, memory)
- Draw a family tree – (this also gives you the opportunity to teach your grandchildren about their heritage/relatives and look through family photos)
- Baking (maybe a special family recipe)
- Plant a garden together
- Make homemade play-dough
- Talk a walk/hike in nature
- Read books (have each person read their favorite book)
- Write a story together and both illustrate with drawings
And don’t forget to utilize technology. Download apps to play interactive games like charades, Pictionary, and more. Fun and laughter guaranteed!
Want more fun tips like these? Follow Chester Street Residence on Facebook.