There are many activities you can do with elderly loved ones at home to help keep them engaged, stimulated, and happy. Here are five activities you can consider:
- Arts and Crafts: Engaging in arts and crafts activities such as painting, drawing, or scrapbooking can be a fun and creative way to spend time with elderly loved ones. You can provide them with a variety of materials such as watercolors, colored pencils, or construction paper, and let them express their creativity.
- Playing Board or Card Games: Board games are a great way to spend time together and can help keep the mind active. Choose games that are easy to understand and play, such as checkers or card games like Uno. Even classics like Candy Land or Chutes & Ladder are great.
- Exercise: Most people don’t love to exercise completely alone. Physical activity is a great way to become their “Peloton” teacher. You can make it fun with good music and encouraging words. Simple exercises such as chair yoga or stretching are great. Even the simple act of taking a walk around the neighborhood helps keep the body and mind active and healthy.
- Cooking and Baking: Who doesn’t love making a tasty meal or yummy dessert together. Choose a favorite recipe or try something new together. You can also involve your loved one in the meal planning process and let them choose the ingredients.
- Reading and Storytelling: Reading books or telling stories can be a great way to connect with loved ones and stimulate the mind. You can read books aloud, listen to short podcasts or stories together or even go through a current magazine and talk about the content together.
With all the technology available today, it’s never been easier to find ideas and create a great experience with your Loved One 😊.